Friday, May 01, 2009

Parental Sacrifice

Parenting is only for the strong. There's no room for weaklings, those who can't or won't sacrifice their own well-being, time and strength for the cause. Your child, your family, your home requires you to give everything.

For example: we've established that Iain, in defiance of all that is holy, dislikes chocolate pudding. So I have...ahem...had four servings of home-made chocolate mousse sitting in my fridge. They needed to be eaten. But on whom would fall this terrible burden? Whose devotion to duty would force (her) to consume all that pudding?

It could only be me. Because when you're the Mom, sometimes you have to take a hit for the team.

Let this be a lesson to all those considering becoming a parent. If you stand in the doorway of your refrigerator and think, "I couldn't possibly eat all that delicious chocolatey pudding" you are not cut out for this job. Did you think it would all be birthday parties and blissful naptimes? No, young one. No.

5 comments:

Chris Bray said...

Be very strong, dude.

Our young lady won't drink any delicious single malt Islay scotch at all, so I have to take the hit. It is a life of sacrifice.

Fiona said...

My Word! She is a harsh taskmaster, your young lady.

Though, in truth, our son also disdains the world of spirits. So his father and I must keep Scotland in business. It's hard, but could we hand off such duty to another? I think not.

bugboys69 said...

You guys are in inspiration. I now know why I can never have kids.

I know I cant handle that kind of pressure.

bugboys69 said...

even an inspiration

Rae said...

Poor Fiona. What a difficult child you have...