Thursday, October 08, 2009

Plain Rice Pudding

When Iain was sick, we made him rice pudding. It was comfort food, but he only found it comforting on the first day.

I, on the other hand, thought it was wonderful - mixed with cinnamon sugar, topped with mango, you name it.

So here's the recipe, in case you've got a sick baby and he (you) need something creamy and comforting to ease the pain.

[recipe from Molly Wizenberg. I got the recipe here.]

1.5 cups water
3/4 cup of basmati rice (long-grain rice, in other words)
1/4 teaspoon salt

3 cups of whole milk
1 cup of cream
1/2 cup of sugar
a vanilla bean

Directions:
1. Bring the water up to a boil, then add the rice. Turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes or so. Almost all the water should be absorbed.

2. Add the milk, cream, and sugar. Split the vanilla bean long-wise with a knife and scrape out the seeds. Add the pod and the seeds to the liquid mixture.

3. Cook on medium until it is thick. The recipe says this takes 35 minutes, but it took us significantly longer (like maybe another 20 minutes). My stove is poo, though, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Notes:
1. When you add the milk and cream, it seems like something is wrong. How can 3/4 of a cup of rice possibly absorb all that crazy liquid? I checked the recipe again because I was skeptical. Have faith.

2. This recipe is plain, dudes. Plain. So if you're not sick, or if you just like a little danger, add more flavoring. I added a dash of hazelnut syrup, and if I make this again I'll add vanilla extract and maybe more sugar. The recipe is a blank slate, to which you may do as you like.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I made this last night, using medium grain rice, goat milk and organic cream, adding vanilla, and scraped out the paste inside the vanilla bean. My beans stay soft because I store them in the jar full of sugar.
In any case, if you make this do try and use a large enameled cast iron pot and set the timer to stir at least once every five minutes. By 35 minutes it was lovely, yummy and thick.