Monday, April 09, 2012

Spring: I Love You


 The hosui pear is in full, total, freakout, ultimate bloom. I have seen zero pollinators in our yard, so...I expect little in the way of fruit. STILL. Bloom plus leaves = transplant shock is over! My pear survived and even seems the tiniest bit happy.


Also, I learned about depth of field. A little. Notice the focused front and blurry back. Yes, it took only 10 years to learn. Call me brilliant. Above, the leaves of my espaliered apple tree. No blooms yet, which is wise. The apple might bear fruit this year because she's content to wait for bees to wake up.



The succulents return!


In the vegetable garden, the trees separating our yard from our neighbor are growing lots of tiny, delicate leaves. I discovered that one sad, overgrown tree is actually an ornamental cherry. If only I could climb over the fence and prune it.


But these. These! My peonies. All four are growing quickly. My fingers are crossed for flowers this year. Peonies are funny. If you bury them too deep you don't get flowers. Last year a late frost killed the buds (boo!). This year we'll see whether the weather and my planting skills work together.


At the very edge of the vegetable garden I planted three blackberry bushes last year. All are growing back vigorously. The idea is that eventually these will provide a thorny hedge. Edible, leafy, but enough to keep random dogs out of my garden. Whether that works or not, I hope for blackberries to eat this summer.


The sun is shining, everything's in bloom or bud, and you can see SLC starting to wake from the winter. The volume of bikers, joggers, strollers and hikers grows daily. 70 degrees today!


Last but not least: the seeds I planted. Lettuce, carrots, etc. Nothing's germinated yet, but we've had 2 rainy days each a week apart and another coming in 2-3 days. To me, that's perfect weather for seeds. Drenching water, time to dry out, and temperature fluctuations to break the seed pod.

No comments: