Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Singing

I shouldn't sing. And I don't sing. Except a little.

One of my favorite children's books is Best Friends for Frances by Russell Hoban. Frances likes to sing, and her songs don't really sound like songs. Mostly, they express her opinions. For example, she sings:

When best friends have an outing,
There are jolly times in store.
There are games and there are prizes,
There is also something more.
There is something in a hamper,
That is very good to eat.
When best friends have an outing,
It's a very special treat.
With no boys.

I sing like that. I'd call it sing-song, except that the sentence "I sing-song like that" makes no sense.

For example, tonight I sang a song to Iain on the subject of him whizzing on me in the bath. It was a short song, but cheery.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Come on now, where are the lyrics to your masterpiece? :)

Ricky does something similar - but what he usually does is make parodies of existing songs by changing the words, usually to comment on something going on at the time...