Monday, December 22, 2008

A Weird Day


1. Not a Crispy Wakeup.*: Iain woke up at 7:20 this morning, so I waited to see if he would go back to sleep. No dice. I went and got him, and at first he seemed ok but then he bugged out. The only thing that calmed him was his bottle, and then he was fussy again when it was time for some solid breakfast. Then, for an hour, he was nothing but net - sweet and smiling all the time.

2. After a good nap, we got all bundled up to go to the store. Iain wore his teddy bear outfit. We installed the carseat in the Passat (it was out because I took the car to campus on Saturday), strapped him in, then realized I'd forgotten the list.

Back in the house for the list. Come out.

Realize I don't have a key to lock the door. Go to the car.

No key in purse. Charles turned off the car, gave me his housekey, I locked the door and returned to the car, list in hand, muttering curses... only to find that we had a flat tire!!

So then we had the pleasure of getting everybody out so Daddy could change the flat in the garage (10 degrees outside), then install the carseat in the Jeep, then we had to caravan to the Goodyear place, then go to the store and then back home. So 11am to 1pm were spent in complete confusion.

3. Post-Nap Craziness: Iain ate his lunch (late), then took a long nap from about 1:45 until 4. In the last week, he's successfully re-trained us to give him one morning nap and one afternoon nap, each of which is longer than his old 1-hour naps.

I put him in his high-chair and he watched me make his food.

[We were basically out of baby food. So this afternoon I made: asparagus, broccoli, and carrots. I'll make cauliflower and sweet potato tomorrow. We only own 3 ice cube trays, which is how I like it, so that's the limit on how much I can freeze at one time.]

Iain hates the Cuisinart, so he cried when it whirred and I had to give him something to play with. Then I fed him his dinner, and when I gave him the (delicious!) broccoli he screamed and whapped himself in the head (broccoli on eyebrow, earlobe, and nose) and totally freaked out. So I put a little sweet potato on the spoon, and more broccoli. He ate about 2 bites of that, then freaked. Two bites, freak. Two bites...you get the idea.

Once that was in him, I fed him half a cup of applesauce with prunes and he loved it and ate it all up no problem.

Cue sweetness again. While I cooked and we ate dinner, he was delightful.

4. Bedtime: We gave him a bath, because that's the only way to really clean off broccoli on your ears. Also, when we took off his diaper for the bath, it was full of poo. So he needed a bath. He liked it, as usual, so I figured "oh thank goodness, it's bedtime!"

But no. He screamed his head off so bad for an hour that Charles and I both checked on him. Finally, I had to sit in the room reading while he played in his crib for 10 minutes, periodically looking at me and laughing like a loon, then laying down. Sit up. Lay down. Laugh, laugh, laugh. Lay down. Sit up. Laugh. etc.

Finally, at 8, he slept. Somebody get me a valium.

* a couple of years ago, Charles and I heard a radio story about Japanese nap centers. You pay a little money and take a 20 minute nap. They have them in American cities, too. In Japan, though, the hostess offers you a little espresso right before you nap. In the radio piece, she said it helped you to have a "crispy wakeup" and now Charles and I gauge all wakeups by this measure.

No comments: