Thursday, July 12, 2007

Insert Title Here

For the second time, I've been to a movie in England. Only this time, it was Harry Potter.

That's right. And I get the book from Blackwell's in a week or so. [stuffs fist in mouth with glee]

I have been accused, at times, of being "obsessed" with "talking" in the "movies." I deny this. Categorically.

However, I will say that our theater was admirably calm, considering. With 200 tweens, many girls, in the audience, you don't exactly expect silence. But when the actual movie started (as opposed to the stupid previews and even stupider commercials), there was a chorus of loud "shhh"-ing. Excellent. I love this country.

What's not so lovable is the habit of taking real food into the theater. I always kind of wished for this in the US. At some theaters, such as the Angelica in NY, you can get pastry and sandwiches and beer for the show. People talk about this as a fantastic thing, and it is pleasurable if you're the one eating.

BUT, I learned today, if you're not eating, it can be a trial. Was it the stinky sandwich on my left, or the smell of an egg mcmuffin toward the end that offended me the most? Unsure. The only thing I'm certain of is that taking food into a darkened room where everyone is concentrating....that's not good. It's a stink-fest.

On the walk home, all sweaty from the new temperature spike (up to 72 degrees!!), we saw a very inviting pub. It said:

Mmmmm....beer.
And plenty of it!

So those are my weekend plans. Oh, that and the Tower of London.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I can see how the stink sandwiches would be a problem... Ricky and I have a habit of sneaking alkyhol into the theater, which is very fun. We did just that last night, when we went to see Transformers (which, BTW, was quite enjoyable). Of course, the best thing we've found are the 21+ showings at the ArcLight. Spiderman 3 (a pretty mediocre film) was made a little better by the fact that we could get cosmopolitans and whiskeys from the bar and take them into the theater! :)