Monday, July 07, 2008

Best Wedding Evar

It took a little longer than expected, but we're finally home from California. Our flight from Atlanta took off about 2 hours late, after a day of very bad weather in the East. So we arrived home last night at 1:30am, only to discover that the garage had blown a fuse and the door wouldn't open. Joy! But by 2am, all were abed (Iain was all, "oh, my crib....zzzzz."), and all was well.

As for Megan's wedding, all I can say is: you know that moment at every event where you think, "Is it time to go home now?" Megan's wedding was a party at which you thought, "It's a shame I don't live near all these people so I could see them all the time." and "What, time to go?" and "Maybe one more dance." and "I have to say goodbye to at least half the people here - I only met them yesterday, but I wouldn't want to leave without saying goodbye."

I guess I can say more. How about: yum! On Friday night, Ricky's family threw a Mehndi ceremony/Sangeet (party). Megan had her hands henna'd, and many other ladies got theirs done, too. I had a beautiful design henna'd on my right foot, since I can't feed Iain if my hands have to be kept flat and carefully protected.

The Sangeet included drumming, singing, dancing (!!), and food. There was tea with savory and sweet cookies, plus drinks (anyone for a 2 liter bottle of Johnny Walker Black? And that was just one choice. I went to fetch Charles a drink and came back with both a full glass and a friend who was all - "is that enough scotch?" he brought the bottle, in case Charles wanted more.). Then there was dinner, with six or so choices. Meat stews, vegetarian stews, Nan, rice, crunchy vegetables for contrast, yoghurt sauce to cool things off, etc. etc.

We all danced (ok, Charles watched Iain while I danced), talked, ate, drank, laughed, and applauded the kids when they entertained us. By the time we left, we knew at least 20 people, any one of whom I would have taken home with me at a moment's notice.

On Saturday, Megan married twice. Once at the Sikh Center, with singing, drumming, prayers, the most fabulous scarlet and blue tunic/pants/veil with jewels and makeup to match, and lots of congratulations. Then, later, at the All Saints' Episcopalian Church, with organ music, a bouquet, and a lovely white dress.

But the theme here is: yum! Did I mention the vegetarian lunch after the Sikh ceremony? Yum. Let's make that double yum. Then, after the Episcopalian ceremony, the reception had chicken skewers, chilled shrimp, spanikopita, egg rolls, and a gorgeous platter of fruit. For dinner we ate wild rice with carrots and broccoli and either salmon (me) or chicken (Charles). Yum, yum, yum.

Personally, I think the highlight of the reception was the dancing. Megan's mom danced with Iain and me (to disco!), while Megan's dad danced so enthusiastically I thought he was going to knock over the head table. Ricky's family led the dancing both at the Sangeet and at the reception, and they really know how to throw down.

The one dance we avoided was the Who's Been Married Longest? dance. Charles and I pretended Iain desperately needed some parenting. It was a moment, though, that gave Megan a chance to demonstrate why she's the perfect friend: she and Ricky got up to join the dancers, and as she passed I just looked at her. She said, "You don't have to dance." It was like ESP. And then, when Marco tried to make us go, I could invoke The Bride, which is powerful magic.

The reception lasted until about 11, I think, but we had to turn into pumpkins just after 9. Iain was drooping, I was dropping (we got up at 5 to decorate the room! 5am is very, very wrong!), and Charles was trying to wrangle us both. When we left, Megan was dancing and smiling, and everyone was having a great time.

I think they should renew their vows next year. And maybe the year after that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I can't tell you how happy it makes me to hear of such a beautiful event with sweet Megan at the center. If someone had described to her that scene when we were all suffering peons together just a couple years back...I love these stories! I bet Master Iain got the wedding love too.

Megan said...

Awwwwww, thanks to you guys for coming all that way and making our wedding so much more lovely! We got back from the honeymoon yesterday, and I'm soooooooo glad you and Charles and Iain had a good time! I just read your post to Ricky and his parents, and Ricky's mom told me to tell you how much she absolutely *loves* you! She's just been gushing over you guys... :)

But we had the best time too, and I'm soooooooo happy that you could be there to share it with us! :)