Thursday, July 24, 2008

How Does My Garden Grow...

The tomato plant I bought at Lowe's has produced about four tomatoes so far, and these two are the latest. They're about an inch across, and very sweet. Lots more to come, especially if I remember to fertilize.


Years ago, I planted a lime tree for Charles at our house in Altadena. It never made any limes. It hardly had a chance, since we moved away after only 2 years. So when we first moved here, Sarah Bowes and I visited Michler's nursery and bought a lemon tree (for me, a Meyer lemon) and a lime tree for Charles. My lemon tree is limping along, making it abundantly clear that I can Piss Right Off, ThankYouVeryMuch. The lime, on the other hand, is thriving. Eight limes on the tree and it's growing all the time. This is one of the smaller ones, only about the size of a large walnut. The largest is closer to full size, and now I'm trying to figure out when to pick it.


The larger of the two tomato plants we received as gifts is ripening its fruit, too. Turns out that the tomatoes are yellow, and very pretty. I had one of these in my salad tonight, along with the two red ones above.


And just to prove that those jades aren't really dead (yet), new growth is popping out. It just seems crazy that putting a succulent out IN THE SUN made it die, so perhaps it was just some kind of skin-shedding exercise.



P.S. In case you wondered, fresh tarragon with chicken really tastes a lot like licorice. Not good. Not horrible, but not great.

No comments: