Sunday, June 12, 2011

Good News, Bad News

Good news: I planted bamboo (finally!) and it's happily settling into its corner. This is a clumping bamboo (fargesia rufa), which will get to a bout 8-10 feet tall in about 2 years.


Good news: Iain's road grader helped me to dig, then plant two holes. Roses in both. I've put in one Graham Thomas plus one Gertrude Jekyll, and if things go right we should have a beautiful display of roses climbing on the fence corner in a few years. They'll be outside the fence, so our neighbors enjoy them but within the fence we'll preserve the Japanese garden aesthetic.

There's that Gertie.

Bad news: not only do I think the pear tree I planted last fall has died, I think the apple tree has died, too. The apple made lovely leaves all over, but they've now turned grey and shriveled. Neither tree looks like it's putting out anything new. Wah. So now I'll have to go check out local trees (not bare-root specimens) and see what happens.

No peonies this year, either. The bushes made buds but then a late frost made them burn. So I don't think there will be any flowers until next spring.

Gardening: not for the weak.

No comments: