Monday, May 02, 2011

Germination Station

OK, I admit it. Not the prettiest pea growing setup I've ever seen. But this is only my second try and it's no uglier than last time (2 years ago, a trio of bamboo stakes. The problem with those was no horizontal support. The peas couldn't get up the stakes and kept flopping over.). I doubt it will really do the trick, but we'll see.

In other news, volunteer flowers! Who knew? I'm planning to plant the poo right out of this side bed, now that I know there are bulbs in there. Hyacinth, daffodil, tulip and maybe lily are going in next fall.

Germination continues apace. Above, pea shoots. They're about an inch and a half high now, growing fast with all the rain and sun we've had. Is that confusing? Weather here is a weird, weird thing. It may rain, then hail, then snow, then sleet, then the sun comes out and it's 60 degrees. The plants - Utah born - just shrug.

Last but not least, the carpet of lettuce. I'm emulating Kate's big beds full of leaves. They made me drool. I sprinkled seed a few weeks ago, but it took a while to get any germination (too cold). Now everything's growing, and I re-seeded a week ago. My fingers are crossed that in three weeks I'll have something fresh to munch on.

But we already ate from the garden. Tonight's stir-fried bell peppers benefitted from a sprinkle of curly parsley and lemon thyme - grown by me!


No comments: