Monday, June 11, 2007

Oxford paths

Today I decided to walk through the University Parks. I thought that it would just be a circular walk in the park. Instead, it resulted in my finding a very different way to get from the Rothermere back to the neighborhood with our apartment.

Initially, the walk was just a walk in the park. I took the southeasterly path and found myself walking nearby one of the many canals. One little gate and bridge after another led me outside of the University Parks proper. I eventually found myself near what I think must be the mosque. Judge for yourselves:

Note the barbed wire atop the fence.

Across the road from the mosque, I found a sketchy little park. The major bonus is that there was an ever so slight uphill grade for about 100 meters. I believe what I stumbled upon is part of the Headington Hill parks. I found this modest little cottage fenced off from the rabble like myself:


Once I returned to the apartment and consulted a map, I discovered that I probably took the path called "Mesopotamia." The little flyer about the University Parks states:
Mesopotamia: the name derives from the Greek for 'between the rivers'. The walk to Marston Road via King's Mill gate was laid out in 1865 and is just under a mile long.
Throughout the walk, the path was mostly paved with some sections of very packed dirt. There were very few people using the paths, but not so few that it was seriously spooky. The park was removed enough to be almost devoid of city sounds. All in all, a very nice little walk.

No comments: