Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Two Points, Illustrated with Photographs for your Enjoyment

Point of the first: The view out my window is pretty.
Mansfield College butts up against our side, so my office looks out onto it:


Straight on from my office (which has solid glass walls along one side) is the Princess Margaret Garden, dedicated in 2002, when she died. It's a little stone rectangular platform with trees and a tiny pond and rosemary shrubs. Very organized, and a little zen.




Point of second: The thing about Oxford, outside of the super-pretty parts that everyone sees, is that there are teensy bits of pretty everywhere. You're just walking along, and there's something nice. Mostly, it's vegetation, but sometimes it's embellishment on the houses. One thing I couldn't get a photograph of is the cap-tiles on the dormer windows. Along the tops of the rooflines, they lay terra-cotta tiles. These tiles are sort of zig-zag looking, like the roof has a hemline. When the reach the ends, though, they have corner-pieces. And those are the bits I like. The corner pieces vary, just a little, house by house. So this one will be a cylander with a ball tip. The next will have a sort of Viking ship design. The next one will be a pointed tip, like a spear. And so on.

First, the lintel of a house we walk by on the way to the library every morning. Click on it to see the design.

The second image is of a form of hydrangea, I think, climbing up the side of a row house. It's making those half-flowers that hydrangeas make, where the petals don't all open, but along the edges the petals open. Lovely. Or, as the British say, "Oooh, lovely!"


Lastly, this picture. There are a million steps like these. And they all seem to have these pretty little violet flowers growing in them. So even when the house itself isn't really so attractive, the steps are cheery and soft. I'm having some trouble paying attention when we walk, because of this and something else.*






*The something else is (Kathy, are you listening?) that the women of Oxford have some fabulous shoes. I'm constantly staring at their feet. I'd provide pictures, but I don't want to be arrested for snapping strangers' feet as they walk by. But let me tell you: high heels or flats, boots and sandals, these women know shoes. What's strange about it is that the shoe shops seem kind of dumpy. So I wonder where these ladies buy the fabulous shoes. Charles says London. Maybe. I probably shouldn't go there, huh?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very illuminating.
One might suggest that you speak with some of those famous English gardeners and ask questions about the flowers. Perhaps a local historical scoiety member could tell you why the lintels are so interestingly decorated.
That would require speaking to two people. Maybe too much.
Three people if you inquire about where to buy shoes.
Lions and tigers oh my.
Jania aka Mommy

Anonymous said...

Hi Fi-F no I won't go there. I know how much you love that.

We can go shoe shopping when you get here tomorrow. I hear nothing but shoes all day. Two men one office twenty five women. Anyway can't wait to see you both. The dogs are on your bed now just to get the atmosphere right

Unknown said...

Yes, you have to go to London and shop. And get me some Bath Olivers whilst you are looking at shoes. Bond Street Regent Street all the streets near Harrods are great shopping. You have to go to London.

The flowers are pretty, but really. I am jealous of your view from your office. I, in my office converted from a bathroom, get to look out on the dumpster. As fascinating as it is when one of the homeless dudes comes to root through it, the view isn't so great. Especially currently, with a dead phone wire hanging loosely outside my window... safe, right?

Anonymous said...

You must go to London and find the shoes. I have to believe that my influence is far reaching and still strong.....