Sunday, January 09, 2011

Greed

This morning I informed Iain that we needed to go shopping.

"We need to go to the TOY STORE!" he told me.
"Oh? What will you get at the toy store?"
"Uh...one of each!"

Oh, rlly?

I must have looked skeptical, because then he offered a less ambitious plan. "I'd like seven!" Seven toys? Yes.

Iain is sad to report that we did not go to the toy store. Nor did he get a toy or a balloon at the grocery. The day was a total bust, from a toddler point of view.

But for me...it was great!
  • There were 2 fresh inches of snow on the ground (overnight snow! so magical!), the sun shone brightly,
  • I ran 3 loads of laundry
  • we stocked up on groceries
  • Then I got fresh local eggs at Caputo's
  • then I went out to seek socks (for Iain) and jeans (for me) without success (in either)
  • then I spent the rest of my gift card on a pair of adorable cap-toed flats
  • then I went to yet another grocery store for meat and unsalted roasted peanuts (for stir-frying) and coffee yogurt
  • then I talked at length to my dad
  • made pizza for supper
  • prepped lettuce for my lunch
  • made onigiri (2 flavors: pickle filled and Za'atar. Yes, za'atar. The food of the Middle East is full of delicious rice dishes, so I figured it was worth a try. I'll need to drop in at the Asian market for nori for next time)
  • And baked brownies (orange dark chocolate with dark chocolate chips) for a student's birthday tomorrow
Now Iain and I are watching The Book of Kells for the umpteenth time. In a minute, though, I need to grade a few essays. And tomorrow? Back to the classroom for lectures on homesteading, readings from Theodore Roosevelt and Owen Wister, and maybe another afternoon of skiing.

No comments: