Friday, September 19, 2008

Higher Education

On Friday morning, Iain and Grandmother visited campus.

Normally, Iain gets up between 6 and 6:30, eats, then naps again until 9:30. Then he's up for the day, eating, smiling, eating, poo'ing (if it's Tuesday or Thursday), eating, drooling, eating...

But on Friday, instead, he decided to awaken at 5:45. I bet he thought, "I'll get an early brekkie, then go to sleep with Mommy till a decent hour!" Bad news, kid.

So we were up before 6, and rather than back to bed it was into the shower, dressed, and out the door. We arrived at the office at 7:45, with plenty of time to dump my grading, diaper bag, etc. before going over for coffee and donuts with the Moore Crew.

[Of course, what I thought was my grading - in my black and brown bag that I remembered at the last minute and had to turn off the car and go back inside to fetch - turned out to be a tart pan and an umbrella. The grading was on my desk at home the whole time. As they say on teh interwebs: FAIL.]

At 8:00 we bundled Iain into the Bjorn, walked over to Moore, and surprised Sefton, MacLaren and the rest. We should have had dinner with Sefton and His Immediate Supervisor last Wednesday, but because of my illness (shared by a colleague), dinner never happened. So Iain visited Sefton in his natural habitat instead.

The visit went well. No puking. No screaming. No pooping. And at 9am, we ambled back to Keith Hall, spent an hour not-grading, discussed the future with 2 undergraduates and a grad student, and finally departed for home.

Iain was bewildered. He kept looking at me like, "Isn't this the part where I nap?" "What about now?" But all that stimulation paid off later. He napped like a champ when we got home at 11, napped in the afternoon, and slept from 8-6 this morning.

Here he is, with Grandmother and about a million of his favorite rectangular object:

No comments: