Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Thieves!!!

I like birds as much as the next person. In fact, a few weeks ago I pulled over, parked the car, and used a menu to lift a baby bird out of the street and onto the grassy verge. I know the most likely outcome is that Tweety died, but at least he didn't get run over.

The word clearly got around. Today, I counted seven birds on the porch, and when I went outside more than twenty flew up into the trees.

You're thinking: they don't know you saved that baby bird from a grisly death. Just because they come to the window and look in at you, that doesn't mean they see you as a friend.

Quite right. I'm not their friend. I'm their communal larder. Look what a cardinal did right in front of me this morning!!:



I managed to save some, though. These are the most delightfully bird-sized tomatoes. They taste great, but they're sooo teensy. I told Mother the birds stole my produce, and she said, "Just cut off the part the bird ate." Uh...Mother...that would leave approximately a gram of tomato. See them here, with the lemon verbena:



For a size reference, I tried to have Iain pose with them. Instead, I learned we've entered the Oral Fixation Stage. Evidence:




[No tomatoes, or babies, were harmed in the making of this post.]

[Except by that bird.]

[Of course, I plan to harm these tomatoes, ASAP.]

[No tomatoes for Baby, though. Not till next summer.]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We have the same issue so we got 6 bird feeders. Now we have over 8 species of birds in our yard (and about 832124 of each of the species) and they have left *most* of the produce alone.

Then we noticed that we have a bird called the Gray Catbird. It took us a while to identify it but when it was eating out of the compost, eating the maggots, etc there, Will was able to identify it. We thought that it was cool that we had this bird, since apparently it is in decline in our area. And then we watched it go and EAT OUR FIGS!

All the other birds are so involved in the safflower, sunflower, mixed, nijer (thistle), seeds and peanuts, not to mention the suet, they don't care about the produce. Not this bird. He is all about the fresh figs. And the compost.

However, I did already take your mother's advice: I just cut out the parts the bird ate even though we have no shortage of figs. It still makes good fig jam.