Saturday, September 20, 2008

Not Just Beans


We bought tomatoes, too.
.
I told the nice man: "I'm going to roast them in the oven!" But I don't know why I bother. I've been buying 3lbs of tomatoes every week for a month - roasting them, pretending I'll freeze them, then EATING THEM UP!
.
So he knew.
.
And he got all crazazy on me. "Try this one!" "Try that one!" "Purple Striated! Wizzle McBangbanger! Orkney Hell-bot!" who knows what these heirlooms are called. I've got about 6 varieties, one Czech (swear to God), and I'm supposed to tell him how they do. How? I can't tell one from another.
.
On the subject of variety, Mother bought a bag of garlic from my favorite stand. Blue Moon Farm. They sell wonderful garlic. Wonderful. Garlic that's crunchy like an apple, lasts forever, slices into the thinnest slices imaginable, retains its form when roasted, etc. etc. I've been addicted to their "Music" variety for approximately 2 years (ever since my colleague Jenn introduced me to them) and am now cheating on Music with German White.
.
Mother's bag included 8 of their 16 varieties. Ontario Purple Trillium, Oregon Blue, Russian Red Torch, and more. Some are tiny little purple-skinned heads, as small as a large marble but with each clove clearly differentiated.
.
Lovely.
.
Did I mention the purple bell peppers? The spicy musk-melons? The purple runner beans? We seem to be on a purple kick.
.
For a small fee, I can send Mother to visit your house. Just think: lasagna, sauteed swiss chard, lamb chops with roasted tomato and olive sauce, and an appreciative audience for your creations. Hardly any fee, really. Just inquire via email.

No comments: