Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Reading Is Fundamental

Whatever the Literacy Police may say ("My grandson is going to be illiterate!" "Don't worry, I'll read to you, Iain. I'll make sure you aren't illiterate." etc. No exaggeration, I swear.), I do read to Iain.

For example, about half an hour ago I was reading to him out of the Stark Brothers catalogue. He especially liked the description of the SnappyMac Apple, which is "perfect for eating fresh or baking." He agreed with me that it would be good if he mimicked its growth habit, which is "superior...more open for better air circulation and sunlight on the branches."

We agreed, too, that the Prairie Spy Apple looked nice in the photograph but that "a tangy taste that's great for fresh eating and baking" sounded suspiciously like Granny Smith. In other words, not "tangy" but tart! Iain joins the rest of us in our opposition to tart apples.

So, see? I read to him. He liked the LL Bean catalogue, too. We read that after the Stark Brothers. Iain singled out a nice wool sweater for Dad and echoed my appreciation for this fall's colors in the Freeport cardigan. Not only am I teaching Iain to be "literate," I'm making sure he has an eye for shopping!

I won't have to read to him for long, though. As you can see, he's very independent and prefers to read to himself:



1 comment:

Charles said...

Oh noes, they caut me reading. I can has new book now?