Monday, August 18, 2008

Dude, I'm a Redwood Tree!

Two weeks ago I emailed our pediatrician. [Emailing your pediatrician is so fabulous. This is what technology is all about.] The question was: Iain hasn't gained any weight for a month. I'm concerned. What do you think?

Dr. Warner said: Chill. And stop weighing him.

But I worried. Because he's a moose! And he should really be gaining weight! And what's the point of all this eating and drinking water and getting up in the middle of the night if he's not growing?

Of course, in Part 8000 of Why Babies and Dogs Aren't That Different (Random House, 2008), Iain started a growth spurt the very evening that I emailed the vet. I mean the doctor.

He ate like he was starving. He ate every 2 hours. All night. For more than a week. I was thinking, "You better grow, or else!"

So today we had our 4-month appointment. And I was waiting to hear that the Moose had gained some L.B.s.

When the nurse said, "14 pounds 5 ounces" I really thought I might cry. That's one ounce more than 2 weeks ago and 3 ounces more than 6 weeks ago. Where's all that food going?

Then she laid him out on the table to measure his height. She said: "Wow!" He grew 3 inches. He's 27 inches. He's in the 95 percentile for height. 2 more inches and he'll need a new carseat.

Whew! So that's where it's all going. He's no longer a Moose. Now, he's Stretch McGee. Long, long, long. And props to Sarah B. who said last weekend, "Gee, he seems really long." [She didn't really say "gee" nor does she say "golly" or "groovy," but you know - creative license.] She knows things.

Iain, of course, cared not a whit. As you can see below, he was all, "Whatevs. Got anything to eat?"



1 comment:

Kathryn said...

you totally make me want to have a baby! Your son is gorgeous!!