Thursday, August 07, 2008

Ok, Ok, I did it.

Megan's so brave. She's not afraid of some eggs. She inspired me to try David Lebovitz's lemon verbena ice cream recipe. Eggs and all.

First, I had to weigh ten grams of lemon verbena leaves. That's a lot. And when you add the fact that you have to lay the leaves in the little pan to weigh them...it was kind of delicate work.


Then I made an infusion with the cream and milk, sugar and leaves.


Next, I had to make a custard. So I separated six egg yolks (whites in the freezer for meringue cookies later!), which were real purty.


But they made a mess, along with the leaves, which I had to squeeze out. Wet, floppy leaves plus egg shells = messy.



Heat, stir, stir, stir, strain, chill, chill, chill. In about half an hour, I'll put the mixture into the ice cream machine and presto - an hour later I'll have lemon verbena frozen custard. Better be good.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Sounds yummy! How did it turn out?

I made the vanilla ice cream yesterday, and I must say that it turned out pretty well, I think. The recipe called for 8 (!) egg yolks, but they were heated pretty well, so I think we're okay. We had some yesterday evening, before it had really hardened up yet, and it was quite nice! I just checked on it, and it's firmed up quite nicely. Not the greatest vanilla ice cream I've ever had, but pretty good...I'd love to know how to get those little flecks that you sometimes see in the store-bought versions, though!