Monday, August 11, 2008

It's Just a Phase

The last week has been a trial. Iain has been growing, so he's waking up every 3 hours or so to eat. We're back to week 2, essentially. Except it's worse than that. At week 2, he slept a lot more.


Now, he wakes, screams, eats, falls asleep, then wakes immediately (as soon as you put him down), screams, and then continues to scream unless you hold him, walk, jiggle, and otherwise stay up all night. Sometimes he will sleep in the bed with us, but only if he can kick us repeatedly in the neck/chest/face.


[and don't say "why don't you just turn him so he can't?" Genius! Why didn't I think of that? Because he spins like a breakdancer and kicks again, my friend. He's Breakin' II: Electric Boogaloo all night long.]


During the day, he's fairly normal, except that he doesn't want to nap but he gets tired and then he screams except he won't nap so he screams because he's tired but he won't nap so...you get the idea. He will nap if I get out my Moby wrap (the blue thing featured in a previous post) and strap him to my chest like a tick. But then, of course, I'm toting 15 pounds around on my chest, which is wonderful for my back. And it's a teensy bit warm, too. At least he sleeps.


He's different at the buffet, too. He's all "I'M HUNGRY! FEED ME NOW OR ELSE!!" but then when the food is there he's all, "Whatevs." He'll eat a little, then lean back to make sure I'm watching him. Then go back for a little more, then lean back. Rinse. Repeat. Supposedly, they're better at eating at this stage so he can get a full meal faster, but I doubt anyone means this fast.


Anyway, I was tearing my hair out, Charles was thoroughly frustrated, things were bad. So I talked to my Mother about it. She was all "could you get someone to come keep him just a couple of afternoons a week so you can work?" and obviously I replied "WHAT? Are you crazy? Where would they keep him? Here in the house! So I'd hear him screaming, so then I couldn't work, so then WHAT'S THE POINT AND WHY SHOULD I PAY FOR THE PRIVILEGE???? And anyway, the problem is at night aren'tyoulisteningtome????" If I was 16, this would be the part where I slam my bedroom door and start writing in my diary with a feather-topped pen about how No One Understands Me.


I'm super-rational.


So Mother sent me an email with this link.


Ahh....so good. I feel so much better now. Super Mom strikes again. My one last question is: when do I get the Super Mom powers? So far...bupkus.
Here's Himself, sucking on his rattle/toy today, looking all innocent and cute and not at all like the Midnight Banshee:



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fiona,
Rest assured this is just a phase and will pass. Is he about 4 months old? It could be a growth spurt, but also about that age babies become much more mobile and aware. They start fighting off sleep more. What we've also found (which I read about but didn't really believe) is that she starts waking up in the middle of the night again shortly before she reaches a developmental milestone (such as rolling over, sitting up independently, crawling, and walking in our current case). It always seemed to herald the new achievement by about 2-3 weeks and then disappear shortly after the milestone was reached. It's nice to know that once their brains (and bodies) go through that rapid development phase, the part of the brain that controls sleep gets fired up again. It shall pass. See if this applies.