Saturday, August 16, 2008

Things You Don't Want To Feel in the Dark

So it's 4:50am, and Iain's hungry. I feed him, despite my Soul-Deep Conviction that 4:50 am is not a time of day that human beings ought to witness. You could melt your face right off like in Indiana Jones. No, really.

He isn't that interested in going back to sleep at first, so I take him to the guest bed, where we've been hanging a lot in the early morning. I'm laying there, sort of half-awake, when I hear the most repulsive noise.

Suck, suck, gurgle, slurp, etc.

I reach over to see what's what, and hopefully discourage this behavior, and I feel...wet, cold cotton knit. Ewww. Soaking wet, kids, not "moist."

We're in a little bit of a loop here. Iain cannot fit into footed sleepers because he's too long. So he sleeps in onesies. The are usually long-sleeved so that he doesn't get cold in the night. But his feet get cold, so we put him in socks.

Except that now he's sucking on his feet through the socks. So the whole, "socks will keep your feet warm" thing isn't going to work because they'll be wet, which means cold, which means an Awake Baby. Bad times.

Also bad times: pulling wet spitty socks off a baby in the dark at 5:10am.

No comments: