Saturday, October 02, 2010

Did I Mention the Neighbors?


My neighbor Linda is a master gardener. She's lived in her house since she was a girl, and somehow her tiny lot (just the same size as ours and most everyone else in the city) contains corn, beans, raspberries, apricots, pears, apples, blackberries, currants, squash, greens, tomatoes...who knows what else? Oh, and flowers, of course. She was the first person on the block to dig up her yard, she tells me, and go low-water.

So yesterday she came over with a couple of bags. What you see is a portion of the loot. I am roasting the heirlooms in the oven, and the squash will probably go the same way (with some cracked pepper and thyme from my garden). But the pears can be eaten fresh and whole, just like these cherry tomatoes.

Best of all, she told Charles that we have to come and get more before it's too late. Aye, aye, Ma'am! I'll be right over.

Who wants to come visit? No fighting!

No comments: