Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Like a Flock of Geese

Iain got another box in the mail today, from his Aunt Kate. This time, in addition to a fabulous trove of new clothes (long-sleeved shirts and the most adorable cable-knit, v-neck sweater vest OMG), there was a pop-up book.

It's about Hannukah (Chanukah, Channukkahh, Chnkh, who knows - I wish we could just call it The Festival of Lights: A Holiday About Latkes and be done with it). The theme is bugs, which I'm not really sure relates directly to the story of Hannukah, but it's cute. Check out the Bubbie Bug:


[A Bubbie is a grandmother. See how she has latkes and sour cream and apple sauce and what appear to be huge olives? Plus toast and cookies and cake. Just like Iain's real grandmother, who makes a mean latke, and his other real grandmother, who makes wonderful nutmeg muffins.]

[Edit later: do you suppose the olive-thingies are actually supposed to be sufganiyot? Jelly donuts?]


Here's the last page. It pops up to a pretty menorah. I'm still not clear what bugs have to do with anything, but it's a great gift for the season. Thanks, Aunt Kate!


In other news, we have migrated inside for the winter. Yes, we are like Canadian geese. The sunroom was just getting ridiculously cold. And it's on a slab on the ground, so even if I ran the heat all day ($), my feet were like a couple of ice cubes. Iain couldn't really sit on the floor to play, either. So we've moved to the living room, which has been transformed:



Iain doesn't seem to mind. Now, he can play in the exersaucer and see that other baby (in the mirror) at the same time.

Nom, nom, nom.



Here's a close-up. Note that L.L. Cool J. here likes to push up one leg of his pants. If it worked for L.L., Iain's willing to give it a try. Also, note the thigh-fat. Delicious.


5 comments:

Rae said...

Hum. The bug thing throws me too. I'm betting that bugs aren't even kosher. ;)

As for the thigh fat - I LOVE IT! Little fat legs on babies are so cute!

Rae said...

I must not have read your post very well because I was not aware that the book was about a family of bugs. I was a little grossed out because I thought there were just bugs around the food for some reason.

It makes a little more sense to me now. My family does "bug" me during the holiday season. :)

SarahHub said...

Rachel is rude. We do not "bug" her.

Anyway, looks like a cute book. But Ians thighs beat it in cuteness by a mile!

Fiona said...

Ok, sisters. Fight it out and whoever wins gets a bite at those thighs.

The thing is - it's not really a book *about* bugs, it's just called Chanukah Bugs and there are bugs on every page. It's like, "Who's in the box on the First Night of Chanukah?" and then there's a bug. The whole bug theme is unexplained.

But Chanukah is a fun holiday - games, chocolate, donuts and potato pancakes. What's not to like? Oh, right: 8 presents! So I can see why bugs (or Hubs) would enjoy it.

Sara @ Life With the Two said...

Ohhh! I'll go right along with calling it a holiday all about latkes! I can't wait to "celebrate" with my daycare kids.

And those thighs...be still my heart. The most precious thing I've seen today!