Tuesday, November 18, 2008

No Comment

I read a lot of food blogs. Mostly, it's about the pleasure of the photographs, since I rarely make anything I see there. One exception is ice cream. I made a lot of ice cream this summer, and it all came from recipes I found online. But that's not my point.

Over at Food Blogga, today's post is about after-school snacks. Apparently, Ms. Blogga's (Italian) momma made her wonderful freshly-baked nosh to help make up for the pain of fractions. "What after-school snacks did your mom make for you?" she asks.

[I can all but hear Charles say, "who says only moms make snacks! I can make snacks! I'll be the King of Snacks!!!"]

I like this kind of blog, because you can toss in your own experience and listen to what others have to say. But in this case...I got nothing. My mom worked. She made snacks, sure. But after-school was really all about our elaborate Chore Dance.

It went like this: she'd ask me to do something. I'd promise to do it. I'd "forget." She'd try to think of ways to "remind" me. For instance, taping a note to a long piece of string and hanging it at nose level from the kitchen light fixture so that it was impossible to walk through the kitchen without seeing it. I would then pretend not to notice. Rinse. Repeat.

This probably drove my mother insane. So when I ask, "Why didn't you make me freshly baked banana bread, Mother?" I'm betting the answer would be something like, "for the same reason you never vacuumed, darling."

Oh.

2 comments:

Rae said...

I just wanted to say that your Charles sounds like a dream boat. You really can't get any better than a man who likes women his own age AND makes snacks! :)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Aw, no after-school baked sweets? I think Charles should start a new tradition to make up for lost time. Thanks for your kind words. :)