Tuesday, March 09, 2010

More Garden Photos

Above, a brave little bit of swiss chard (ruby chard, I think), peeking out from the mulch. "Is it spring yet? I'm tough! I can handle 30s!" Let's hope that beginning turns into a bunch of delicious yumminess for my belly.

Below, the thyme is coming back, too. It never really goes away, just shrivels up and looks dry and hard all winter. But the new growth is greener, softer, and more pliable than the older stuff. Last year this plant tried to reach Indiana, so I'm eager to see what it does this year.


You may recall that I planted about 5000 bulbs. It was hard work, too. Of course, the rabbits are grateful. They think bulbs and shoots taste gooood. See below.


And again, below:


Yep. They come in the early morning. They eat my precious bulb shoots. But they didn't get to everything. In fact, they've missed most of the bulbs. And I don't think they did enough damage to kill any of them. It's just a matter of my little flower babies growing fast enough to outpace the rabbits. What if the rabbits have babies? Shush!

Last, but not least, my sweet cherry tree. The apricot I planted last year died. (Right after it died, Kentucky Magazine ran a gardening article that said, and I quote "You can do pretty well with nearly any kind of fruit tree. Except sweet cherry and apricots, of course. With those, all I can say is Good Luck!" I was not laughing.) But the cherry is doing ok. Fingers crossed.

No comments: