Sunday, March 28, 2010

Wake Up, Garden!

The fish want you to know that spring is on its way. Not that you could tell from the pathetic state of their pond. The plants have not yet begun to grow back. But soon...lovely flowers, grasses, and lily pads will appear once more.

And elsewhere, spring's awakening has begun in earnest. Check out the blueberry bush:


And the redbud:


And one of the peonies:


Our buyer has no idea what he's getting in that little patch. Four or five peonies (can't remember exactly), including one I dug up from the side of the house. A mystery peony! By late spring, when he takes possession, they should be in full glory. Sniff.


Above, the sweet cherry, taking its sweet time with those leaves. And below, (ignore the sad state of the edging. I don't really believe in edging. Also, I'm lazy.), the bulbs I planted, popping up like mad. The daffodils are nearly ready to open, while the tulips are still working on big, thick leaves.


If you recall last autumn, I got a little fed up with planting bulbs. Turns out that 150 bulbs (or whatever it was) requires a lot of hole-digging. And we have heavy, clay soil. So I lost my patience and put the last 20 into a big tub:

Anytime now, those leaves will produce a blaze of tulips. Naturally, I have no memory of what went where. So it could be a blood red parrot tulip, or it could be something cool and lovely in pale yellow. No idea.

In other news, last night I was sick at 3:30 and then today at 3:20 I fell down the last 3 or 4 stairs. I'd like to know when I stepped on Superman's cape so I can apologize. Clearly, my karma needed some balancing.

No comments: