Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Spring!

To begin our parade of not-very-attractive-or-informative photos, let's take a look at the garlic.

I planted a couple of heads last year, and in the fall nothing had happened. Fine, whatever. I just ignored it. Failure happens all the time in gardening. And since there's nothing to be done about it, one just chalks it up to bad weather/bad luck/bad timing/bad product and moves on.

The garlic chose to stay. I guess it spent winter chanting "I think I can!" like the Little Engine That Could. And here it is, tiny little cloves with sprouts coming up at the very first sign of warmer weather and sunshine.

It's nothing I can really eat (I could, but there's so little who'd notice?), but garlic is a good thing in a veggie garden. Its smell repels some pests, and it takes up very little room. so I'll keep up the salutary neglect and hopefully my little garlic babies will growgrowgrow.

No comments: