Saturday, December 19, 2009

A Busy Day

Whew! Baby in bed at last, me in my slippers and the lights out downstairs - time to relax.

Today was graduation. So despite the filthy weather (not dangerous, because Miriam stole all our snow and what we got instead was a long day of wet, cold slush) my colleague Tom and I sallied forth to do our duty.

As always, it was a pleasure. I did not know that one of my students was the first in his family to graduate from college. We ask all such students to stand and be recognized, and there he was. I also did not know that one of my advisees would be sworn in today as an officer in the Army. We stand to honor those students, and I popped right up, since he was "mine," so to speak.

Then there was the reception, where I met parents and siblings and girlfriends and grandmas. They all wanted to take a picture, which was fine except I forgot my lipstick and had hat-head from my silly pillow-hat. Then back to Lexington for a whirlwind unloading and re-loading so Iain could go have his Saturday night date with Callie. Charles and I had to content ourselves with an adult night out - dinner with a friend at a local institution we'd never tried. All I'll say about dinner is: mini cinnamon buns for dessert. Chew on that.

Meanwhile, Iain and Callie were touring Christmas lights and then staring in wonderment at displays of toy trains. Yes, toy trains. Iain's personal obsession. He was so entranced he got a little confused. I say this because when offered a corn dog for dinner he refused, which is an act that can only be explained by his being a little off his head. So I think the Thomas the Tank Engine train display, along with the Christmas-themed one, must have monopolized his brain for a while.

We reunited at 7:30, whisked The Pasha home, and figured we'd toss him in the bed and collapse. But no. He was all, "Toast!" and "Play!" and "Baf!"

Thus it is only now, at 8:25, that we're peeling off our finery, sinking into our plush chairs, and taking a deep breath.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so very glad you got your well deserved, and long overdue, night out.
Bundle up and relax in your cozy home.

Unknown said...

If you want some snow, we certainly have some to share. I mean, 20+ inches! You can have 1-2. I want the rest to make sure that I don't have to go to work on Monday or Tuesday for that matter. ;)

Thought, to be honest, I have no idea when I will be able to get the car out of the garage because the alley has about 22+ inches with the drifts and all, and I don't think that the city will plow that. Not a big deal for me, but for Kelly who was going to drive home on Tuesday, that is a pain.