Thursday, December 03, 2009

Cookie Hack

You do not need cookie cutters.

Ok, ok. If you want to make gingerbread men or snowflakes or something, you need a cookie cutter. But to make your basic cookie, like a sandwich circle, you do not need a cookie cutter.

A small glass will do. My old friend Jeffrey (LA Jeffrey for those of you in the know) gave me a lovely set of very small Moroccan tea glasses years ago. I drink liquor out of them, but I also use them to stamp out cookies when necessary. They work great.

I say this for two reasons. First, thanks, Jeffrey! This gift just keeps on giving. Second, every year this time I start to think, "do I need 400 little cut-out cookie tools to make elaborate cookies???" And then I think, "Nope."

2 comments:

Heather said...

I used to think I needed specific cutters for specific uses. Then, years ago we came up with using a glass or cup. I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before....

On a totally unrelated note, your word verification is "manco" which is my grandmother's last name. :)

Unknown said...

No you don't *need* the cookie cutters.... but they are fun to have. It is kinda like I don't *need* every color of Le Crueset pans, but ... no, wait. Scratch that: I do need them. I am not sure where I am going with this, but I have a santa cookie cutter and you are jealous.