Sunday, December 13, 2009

Entitlement

Certain people have gotten way out of hand. They seem to think that the world exists to serve them. Consider this example:

I vividly remember when my sister suddenly started to hold on. You'd pick her up and it didn't seem that heavy because she was clinging to you like a rhesus monkey. It was great. Given Iain's size, we've been hoping for the Monkey Effect to happen. Nothing. You say: "hold on like a monkey!" and pretend to drop him a little. Nothing. He just looks at you as if to say: "Dad, you're not going to drop me. Please. I'm The Pasha and I will be carried."

Does he help carry in the groceries? No!
Does he put away his dishes? No!
Does he make breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks? NO!!

And you have conversations with him that go like this:
Me: Here's your delicious supper, dear.
Iain: Kiwi! Kiwi!! KIWI!!!
Me: You can have kiwi later. Eat these noodles first, please.
Iain: Apple! Apple!! APPLE!!!

I asked him, the other day, what he's planning to do with his life. The answer: "Thomas? Bob? Barney?" Unless that's the proposed board of directors for his Fortune 500 company, I think we're in trouble.

You can see why I'm concerned.

No comments: