Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Neighborly Advice

Last week we had a windstorm. It blew all kinds of stuff all over the place. For example:

  • the compost barrel (made from an old trash container that the city recycles into compost bins)
  • belonging to my neighbor (the one that I asked him about 1.5 years ago - "Are you discarding that? I'll take it if so." - and he said "No, I'm using it." and then it sat in his driveway, empty for more than a year, while I got bitterer and bittererer)
  • that blew across our yard and into the driveway and then into our other (nice) (normal) neighbor's yard. (do I need to point out that he's not "using" it???)
But the compost isn't the only thing that blew into our yard. Just now I went out with a little grocery bag and picked up the ten or twelve pieces of paper that also blew over. Things from his recycling? I dunno, but they were loose, drifting across the neighborhood.

And what were they? Oh, nothing important. Only the W-2 forms for he and his wife. And their 2007 taxes. Just stuff like that. Laying in my yard.

People: bag your trash. Shred your papers when you discard them. Burn or eat your confidential information. Bribe the garbage collectors. Put a padlock on your trash cans. Do something. Honestly.

3 comments:

Chris Bray said...

Dude, I'll pay you twenty bucks for their Social Security numbers.

Bart said...

Shredding's no guarantee. When I was about 11, I lived next door to my PE Teacher. One day I noticed a bunch of tiny little pieces of paper scattered across his lawn, so I gathered them all up and discovered that they were checks that he had ripped up. Needless to say, I reassembled them all with tape, took them to school and passed them around to everyone.

Alexandra said...

that's crazy!!! at least tear it up