Friday, January 09, 2009

Stuffed Chicken Breasts

Jen over at Use Real Butter inspired me to play with chicken last night. I bought some mushrooms to sautee so Iain could try them (verdict: meh), and had some finely grated mozzarella that Charles said wasn't very good for making quesadillas.

So I put the two together. I butterflied my two chicken breasts, as Jen recommends, then made a mixture of chopped sauteed mushrooms, a quarter cup or so of mozzarella, about two tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan, and a couple of glops of tomato sauce to make a paste.

I rolled up the breasts around the mushroom mixture, used toothpicks to hold it all together, then drizzled on oil, sprinkled garlic powder, and added a final dusting of breadcrumbs. I was using my pyrex pie pan, so I had plenty of room. I also had extra mushrooms. So I poured some tomato sauce in the pan and added the 'shrooms, figuring I'd get a nice pan sauce.

They baked at 375 for a little more than half an hour, and came out deliciously delicious. Getting the toothpicks out was not easy, though. I should really do a better job of rolling in the first place. Another minor error was that I didn't season the chicken. I figured that the parmesan had a lot of salt in it, but if I did it again I'd definitely salt the meat. What was I thinking?

Anyway, it was easy and yummy and it made a nice meal. The second breast microwaved very well for today's lunch. Thanks, Jen, for the idea.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

two things:
1. i think i gave you those awesome poultry skewers before. they are like steel toothpicks with loops at the end for trussing and such. much easier to get out.
i am sure i can find more if you need me to search. don't pay a lot for them.

2. for new year's day i made NC style pulled pork shoulder with an awesome cider vinegar sauce. i will send the recipe if you are interested. also made black eyed peas with curly kale and balsamic vinegar over jasmine rice too, but that was straight out of a cookbook. no big whoop.

Fiona said...

I have skewers, but I think they are too big for this job.

I'll take the sauce recipe. I make my pulled pork in my slow-cooker, and it's the easiest thing evar. Evar. So what I would want is a good sauce. Your veg sounds yum, though. Something you and I could eat for sure...

Anonymous said...

Hello Fiona! I just had lunch today at Pie n Burger. IT WAS AMAZING! Mmmm!!! Thanks for the heads up. P.S. The chicken looks fab. Much healthier than PnB.

Fiona said...

I'm so glad you liked it! Ok, here's a tip:

In the spring, they will have pie made with ollalieberries. You must eat this.