Thursday, September 17, 2009

Autumn is in the Air

Above, our answer to the recession: beef skewers. Buy one lovely steak (on sale if you're like me), cut into small chunks, then marinate for several hours. I use A1 sauce and Worcestershire sauce, because I'm retro like that. Then thread them on soaked bamboo skewers and grill for a few minutes. Lovely steak dinner for two, cost effective and easy.


Even though it's still 80 at 4pm, and even though my dahlias just won't quit, and even though the bell pepper plant is making peppers like it's July, I can feel that autumn is right around the corner.

Next week, the highs are forecast to be around 75. I cut out the tomatoes (still producing!) and now the chard is growing fast.

But most importantly, the sideboard proves it's fall. Right next to the last garden tomatoes are a pile of sweet potatoes. I bought a lovely butternut squash yesterday, too. And the onions and white potatoes and fall flavors are starting to seem very, very appealing. Tonight we had roast pork loin (in an adobo rub) with sweet potato chunks. And a green salad, because - it's still 80 degrees.

I can't wait for chili, beef stew, pulled pork in the slow cooker and all the other things that seem so satisfying when it's cold outside. And I especially look forward to introducing Iain to some of winter's delights. Cocoa, anyone?

No comments: