Saturday, June 13, 2009

Bad Picture, Good Dinner

One small Farmer's Market chicken, thawed (this took 3 days because they freeze those things by sending them to Neptune where they become frozen in both a physical and an existential sense, then reimporting them to Earth via the North Pole).

One CrockPot. Yes, get out your bell-bottoms and your headband and learn to say "groovy." The Crock Pot is an excellent tool. I am a Crock-vangelist.

Put your chicken in the pot, add a handful of baby carrots (I am aware that they are really old, cranky carrots that have had an Extreme Makeover. Leave me to my illusions, if you will.). Add a little chicken stock and a bit of vermouth (the French kind that you will otherwise use in martinis, not the sweet Italian kind which is also delicious). Add a bay leaf and a quartered head of garlic (yes, a head, not a clove. I bought those fresh heads at the market last week so here's one use for them). Salt, pepper, turn the Crock Pot on High and walk away for 3-4 hours.

The result is a fall-apart tender chicken to eat with noodles (as you see above in my pathetic photograph. I'm so ashamed.) or rice or buttered bread (for the drippings, which are awesome), or whatever you like.

No comments: