Saturday, June 06, 2009

Today's Farmer's Market Haul

Clockwise, from the center/top:
an heirloom tomato to go in my big tub that was holding lettuce (now bolted);
the first garlic of the season! California Early, complete with edible scapes;
a frozen organic chicken, small enough for just two;
locally-produced Italian sausage (sweet), sold by a lady who wears a "crown" made of plastic sausages;
4-cheese ravioli, made by a local academic/importer of Italian goodness;
the first crook-neck squash from a favorite local farm; fig and walnut spread;
the last local asparagus;
pumpkin bread made by another favorite farmer;
strawberries from the stand that sold me some excellent apples last fall;
and Italian noodles with that beautiful nubbly look that comes from being extruded through an old-fashioned pasta machine.

Yum, yum, yum, yum.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you ask favorite garlic farmer friend of yours how he does it? My garlic is sooo not that strong looking. What am I doing wrong? I mean, I planted it and promptly forgot it. So why isn't it all happy and thick? Oh wait.... I think see the issue...

Fiona said...

When did you plant it? These are from garlic planted last fall, so unless yours are that old...

Also, there are 2 kinds of garlic: softneck and hardneck. They grow differently and are harvested at different times. So you may not have the same kind. Put up a picture of your garlic for me.

BaysYates said...

Wow. Yum. I am so making a trip to your house for dinner.