Friday, June 05, 2009

Garden Update

Late-blooming clematis, doing its pastel thing. The early ones are deep purple and the ones in our front yard (on the mailbox) are deep, dark magenta. These are the color you'd get on a bridesmaid dress for your littlest cousin.


Even the plants in the fish pond are in bloom. I like these, but I'm really waiting for the big reeds to make their flowers. Purple, again, and shaped like popped popcorn. They're fabulous.

Swiss Chard, soaking up rain and converting it into nutrition. Yum.

Look at all that iron! This leaf is going in my belly.

Signs of things to come:

And the marigolds, which are such hard workers. They cost practically nothing because many people don't love them. Honesty: I don't love them. But, you know, for what they require (not just cost, but the effort), they're amazing performers.


It turns out, see, that the way you find out if you labeled the sugar snaps and the snow peas correctly is that you look at them once they're done. This one's a sugar snap.

This one, too. In fact, that whole plant is the same pea!


So I bought this tomato plant, right? And the guy at the Farmer's Market was all, "Yeah, a nice tomato." Fine. I put the medium-large tomato cage on it. Then the rains began. And now I have a mutant tomato that is not only blooming and making little tomatoes, but also required extra staking because it's already 8-10 inches taller than its cage.

See? I tried to fit a larger tomato cage over the existing one, but that proved a Fool's Errand. Not at all a success. So I bought three more bamboo stakes and tied the tomato to those. It ain't pretty, but it's working, so far.

No comments: