Thursday, June 11, 2009

Wow. Wow, dude.

I read a lot of blogs. Ever since Charles turned me on to Google Reader, which keeps track of all the interesting places I like to visit, I read probably 30 blogs.

Like magazines, blogs vary widely. Some I read carefully only about 10% of the time, while others are so good I save them for last (like dessert). I'm looking at you, Use Real Butter and Gastronomy.

Eating Asia falls somewhere in between. I'm not likely ever to cook the foods they describe, and the blog isn't really about cooking, anyway. But it's not a travel blog. Exactly. It's like a long, photo-heavy virtual tour through Asia with people who aren't going to waste your time with information that's trivial (such as tourist sites).

The authors live in Kuala Lumpur, but they go to China, Taiwan, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, etc. etc. ad infinitum. They describe the food in those places, complete with gorgeous photographs of the vendors and cooks who make them welcome. It's mostly street food, and it encompasses plenty of simple fare (soup, often clear broth with greens, for example) but also plenty of truly site-specific vittles.

I love it. You might, too. Check them out.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Fiona, you are my blog dealer! Thanks for these.

Gastronomer said...

Thanks for the shoutout, Fiona. I appreciate each and every one of your comments. They make me smile! Read on, sister.