Monday, June 01, 2009

Sooooo Jealousssss...

Above and below, I'm sorry to say, you see a group of friends enjoying the sordid aftermath of a dim sum feast. I could be happy for them. After all, they enjoyed a sumptuous repast, basked in each other's company, and learned all about bulldog breeding from Norton MacSnorton's mom (pictured in black, mocking Andrew Jackson, above). What could be finer, on a sunny Southern California Sunday?

But in my heart I seethe with jealousy. Their soy and ginger-flecked tablecloth triggers my inner yearnings for dumplings and fried balls of indeterminate seafood paste. Ah, dim sum...how I love thee. AND, as if it even needs mentioning, there's the company of a group who can talk about structuralism and post-structuralism, Oppenheimer and Stalin, Catalina Island and the Jewish intelligentsia. At least one of them can do it in Russian or Turkic, too.

This demands immediate action. No moping. I'm going to:
1. Buy a steamer so I can learn to make dim sum.
2. Kidnap everyone you see above and bring them here for a week of fun.
3. Go shopping for a New Daddy gift for Norton MacSnorton.

6 comments:

Chris Bray said...

How is it that I know all of those people, but don't know where they are or what they're doing? Was there a conference, and everybody agreed not to tell me? (Was it the diaper on the head?)

Megan said...

Dim sum was super fun - wish you could have been there! But I'm perfectly willing to be kidnapped any time... :)

Fiona said...

Dude, I think dim sum palaces have an explicit "no diapers as headgear" policy.

Also, is Sargeant B. a vegetarian these days?

Chris Bray said...

Surely there are tons of vegetarian dim sum options, dude.

Fiona said...

Not really, dude. Everything has either pork, shrimp, or both in it. And nearly everything is fried in porky fat (that is, fat in which 10,000 pork dumplings have met their fate).

I took a veg to dim sum, once. Not pretty.

Gastronomer said...

If you're serious about making dumplings, you must get this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580089755?ie=UTF8&tag=vietworldkitc-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1580089755
It comes out in late August. And vegetables and dim sum just don't go together. Pork, pork and more pork.