Wednesday, June 03, 2009

The Possum Chronicles, Part 3

This is the northwest corner of our deck. Sad, no?


Of course, the one fun thing was that Charles got to purchase 2 large "wrecking bars," for which one can imagine many excellent uses.


Here's Byron, our helpful pest control person, cleaning out poor, deceased Momma Possum.

She made quite a nest under the deck. He had to clean out basically that entire portion of the deck.


Inside? 4 baby possums. Byron caught 3. The last one is engaged in a dance with me. I put out apples, he comes out, I fail to catch him. I put out bacon (local, organic bacon! No nitrates!), he comes out, I fail to catch him. Etc.

But I will prevail. Don't doubt it.

7 comments:

Chris Bray said...

My god, they were huddled around their dead mother? I'm gonna go have a drink or ten -- that's the saddest thing ever.

Megan said...

I hope the baby possums will be taken to a wildlife shelter?

Fiona said...

Well, that's what Byron said. Apparently, they're young enough to go to a place here in Lexington that will foster them until they can be released in the woods.

But there's the one possum left. I have to catch it. And when I do, he suggested that I just release it in the park or something.

Of course, it's possible that all this was to spare the sensibilities of the city girl. If so, that's sweet.

Unknown said...

Bright side: you can add that hot tub you always wanted where you tore up the decking...

Fiona said...

Now that's a really good idea. I wonder if I could float that to the Mr.????

Chris Bray said...

Dude, those baby possums are already last night's stew.

Fiona said...

Possum stew tastes better the second day, dude. Like lasagna.