Monday, June 08, 2009

Blueberry Cobbler - Crispy Crust

Friday night I needed an easy, quick dessert that said "Summer" but didn't require a huge amount of effort. I also wanted to keep the kitchen relatively cool. The obvious choice was cobbler.

BUT, I was raised in a place where cobbler comes with a variety of toppings. As is common in such places, I have an unreasonable prejudice about what the top of a cobbler should be like. Think Yankees vs. Mets, Cubs vs. White Sox, mustard BBQ vs. ketchup BBQ vs. vinegar BBQ.

So I wanted a cobbler with a crispy crust, not a biscuit crust. In the end, I had to combine two sources, one for the filling and another for the crust.

The filling is this: 4 cups of fruit (I used frozen wild Maine blueberries. I had awesome fresh blueberries, but those are for snacking, not baking.), 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Combine these.

The topping came from a source I trust without question. I was frustrated by the lack of crispy crust recipes for blueberry cobbler, so I went trolling through the archives over at Use Real Butter. Sure enough, there was Jen with a gorgeous crispy crust. It was on an apple/cranberry cobbler, but no matter. I swiped that puppy.

Directions could not be easier: Mix up the topping. Mix up the filling. Pour the filling into a greased pan (I used a 9x13 pyrex baking dish), bake at 375 for 40 minutes. Done. DO NOT eat until it's cooled a bit, because that's some molten blueberry death goo. You have been warned.

The result was excellent. Very crispy, sugary topping over sweet, tart, gooey blueberry guts. With a small scoop of vanilla ice cream, it was an effortless way to end dinner. And since everyone had blue teeth, it was a bonding experience, too.

4 comments:

BaysYates said...

One of the reasons I love Fiona-
She refers to a blueberry cobbler as a "quick dessert". Fantastic. A quick dessert for me is a pint of ice cream. :) I am thinking a dinner won't do. I am hoping that I can move in and you can adopt me. :)

Unknown said...

She is going to adopt me too. We will have a commune... with fresh veg. We will be the coolest kids on the block. We will bake all the time.

BTW, lurv the photography.

Fiona said...

'fanks, dahling. I love me some closeups.

Erin: seriously, this dessert is easy. And it's not like "just me, in my jammies, looking for a sweet" easy. It's "I have to serve dessert to guests and I bet they'll think I'm weird if I break out the ice cream with obvious spoon-marks and wear my jammies so I better think of something quick."

But both of you can move in anytime. I expect Lucas to teach Iain some important tricks - and the two of you to provide constant companionship. Perhaps we could form a girlband.

Gastronomer said...

Crispy crust IS the way to go ;-) Although biscuit knobs have a special place in my heart too.