Sunday, November 22, 2009

All Quiet on the Eastern Front

Iain helped me check on the garden. As you can see, he likes to "help" the fish with their pond. He plunges the skimmer into the water, waves it around, and otherwise acts like Godzilla, with the fish in the role of the terrified residents of Tokyo.

However, while he was busy with that, I checked on the herbs left in my raised bed. As you can see below, the curly parsley is still happy as a clam. It likes cooler weather, and I like it.


The sage and chard are also still going. The chard looks a bit small because I ate a bunch last week. But it's coming back and we have at least another week of temps in the 50s, so I suspect I'll be enjoying another chard dinner soon. The sage hides the thyme, also still growing like mad. Thyme can be annual or perennial, depending on the weather, and I'm hoping that the warmer soil of the raised bed will help it come back. It's been a champion.

And then there's the flat-leaf parsley. I don't even really like flat-leaf parsley. So (of course), both of them are this big:

For reference, that's about 2 feet in each direction. And there are two of these monstrosities. Anyone want some parsley? I seriously considered using it for a bouquet last night. Because, hey, it's not like I'm going to eat it.

Juno finds the cooler weather nice, especially since it has coincided with the appearance of the neighbor boy raking the leaves. She gets to exercise her lungs, jump at the fence, and generally be a dog. So she likes that.

Did I mention that Iain throws pebbles in the pond, too? Yeah. If it's not enough to make the fish huddle in impotent rage at the bottom ("Damn you, Godzilla!"), he also selects The Perfect Pebble and tosses it into the water, watching the ripples as it goes down. Then he gets another Perfect Pebble and does it again.

Otherwise, a quiet day spent waiting for The Dad to return to home base. He's back, and there's pot roast in the crock pot and freshly-made granola for the morning. Good times.

No comments: