Tuesday, November 17, 2009

New Tricks

High Five! At Callie's party, Iain came up to me and put up his hand. He does that a lot, and it might mean "Pick me up!" or it might mean "I'm done with this silliness!" I just looked at him as if to say, "Yesss?"

So he reach over, lifted my hand off my knee by the thumb, and slapped it with his own hand. Then he looked at me: "Honestly, Mom. Honestly."

Rough Play. Today's day care report said Iain "played a little rough with his friends." Having seen him "playing" with Callie - in other words, trying to steal her toys and then engaging in a vicious tug-of-war - I have a good idea what Miss Meghan meant. So now he's entering that stage where he'll grab stuff, maybe do a little biting, and protest with a screaming tantrum when he fails to get his way.

Which brings us to number 3:

Tantrums. Last night, Iain had an epic meltdown. I mean, ep.ic. As in: awesome, revelatory, apocalyptic. It started when I took him upstairs for a bath, continued throughout the "bath" (more like a dip and scrub), and required us to wrestle on his new diaper and jammies. We put him to bed, since it was bedtime, and he indicated his displeasure in the most vigorous terms for 10 minutes before going to sleep. I suspect he dreamed of dropping us both off a cliff. It was spectacular.

Ah...18 months is such a joy. Can't wait for 2!

2 comments:

Chris Bray said...

Dude,

Our tiny beautiful lady had a sustained and spectacular meltdown this evening in the Pacific Design Center, where her evil dad announced that we had taken more than enough trips up and down the big escalator for one evening and would be moving on.

There was screaming! There was writhing! There was a tiny body hurled at the floor! There was circling back and running toward the escalator again -- for four blocks -- followed by more screaming/hurling/writhing when the dad moved to block the maneuver! There were great screaming cries of, "daddy, noooooo!"

My favorite part about the whole performance is that you can always count on strangers to give you the "what are you doing to that child" dirty glare.

Twenty-one months, tomorrow. Good times!

Alexandra said...

that is awesome...lol. we have also had our share of those. but I will say it has actually gotten better as he has gotten older not worse. the more he understands what is going on the less upset he gets. maybe that will happen to you guys too!