Saturday, November 07, 2009

Bring on the Greens


Everything's inside for the winter - succulents, winter-blooming plants (a gift from Miriam), and the citrus and fig.



Iain could give a hoot. He's all about sticking his fingers in the heater. Good job, son. That's a great idea.

But most importantly, the cool weather and rain has led to a profusion of chard. I planted this plant over the summer but not much happened while I was away. It was crowded out by the tomatoes (they grew to monumental proportions).

Next year, I'll be planting 3 or 4 chard plants rather than one. Why? This modest handful of leaves produced a lovely little pile of vitamin-filled goodness for my supper tonight. And it was some of the best chard I've eaten. Yummy in my tummy and no work.

I tossed a slice of butter into a little soup pan (which was on medium), washed the leaves carefully, pulled the leafy bits off of the stemmy bits, chopped the stems, and threw it all in with the butter. I added kosher salt, cracked black pepper, and a little garlic powder. Put the lid on, walk away for 5 minutes, come back and eat. It makes some juice, which I would normally eat but tonight my plate had sauce on it so I left the juice in the pan. Anyway: yum.

Next year: fewer tomatoes and peppers, more chard and more beans.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your chard looks yummy! Our's isn't nearly that tall or exciting. Maybe the warmer weather we have been having over the weekend will cause a late-season growth spurt!