Wednesday, October 29, 2008

For Lucilius

These are images of Ross Castle, in Ireland. Lucilius has asked for information about the castle's restoration, and what we have is very thin. But I finally unearthed the photographs taken in Ireland two summers ago, and here are a few.

The resolution is fine enough that you should be able to blow up the image 150% or so and read the text (in English and Irish, no less) about the castle.

For those of you who haven't read the entire archives (shame on you!), in summer, 2007, Charles and I spent 12 weeks in England, Scotland, France and Ireland. Charles fell in love with Scotland, and I fell head-over-heels for France. Scotland was great, too, but France was...France.

Ireland? Yeah. Um. Yeah.

Let's not talk about that.























So there you have it. Two of the placards, a couple of shots of the castle itself and one of its back courtyard (the staircase), plus two shots of the lake it abuts.
.
I left out the actual butts, in the form of a photograph Charles took of some woman whose rear was hanging out of her trousers. One of the sub-genres of our vacation photos is a set of photos proving that everywhere you go, someone has badly fitted pants.

[EDIT: There is no butt-photo from France. People keep their bums inside their trousers in France. I rest my case.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks a lot !
A post special for me, I'm so flattered (sorry I'm a bit late, but I didn't get to read your email until today...).
The castle actually looks much better today than at the end of the XIXth century. But it seems that even at its best, it might not have been the most cheerful of dwellings: cramped, damp, smelly... no more light than a prison... Brrr.
It looks like the point of view from which the drawing was made is very similar from which the last photo was taken (I don't mean to link spam your blog, but here's a link to the engraving, just in case someone gets curious. You can remove it if you like).
I understand that for the reputation of your blog you had to leave the "butts" out, even though it could have been worth a look. Strictly for informational purpose, of course. And I'm so relieved people in France behaved themselves! At least when you were looking.
Thanks again.