Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thumbs Down. Way Down.


Green beans narrowly escaped being what teh interwebs call an Epic Fail.
.
First, he choked. Then he drooled. Then he refused. He made an icky face. He turned away. He refused to eat anything else. He refused to eat green beans mixed with squash or rice cereal. He threw up (not spit up, but true throw up - a first!).
.
It was awesome.
.
Then he pretended not to be hungry for about 20 minutes. In Baby Time, that's about 100 years. It's equivalent to the amount of time you wait for the Dramamine to kick in. Or the time you spend with that flouride stuff in your mouth at the dentist. Or the time it takes to get your trousers unbuttoned (note I did not write "pants" - that's for you, British readers) when you've really got to go. It was a long time. I ate a chicken breast and some asparagus while I waited.
.
Finally, he ate some rice cereal, but only after I showed him the bowl and he confirmed No Green. Then he ate some squash. Then I tried green beans again. NO DICE!!
.
When I got up, prepared to capitulate, he wailed. You didn't need a Baby-to-English interpreter to hear: "where's my dessert?"
.
So I cut an inch off a very ripe banana, mashed it up, zapped it to get it warm, then mixed that into the green beans. Presto. He ate about one tablespoon. Not enthusiastically, but without throwing up.
.
I need a nap.

3 comments:

SarahHub said...

Being a mom is hard work, but you WON the battle!

Alexandra said...

it only gets worse as they get older. lol. I have now resorted to blending up greens and trowing them in sauces. haha.

Unknown said...

Faithful reader in the lowcountry suggests swiss chard next. More palateable.