Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Love the Orchard

Over last weekend, we visited Evans Orchard again, this time with Iain in tow. While our friends the Bowes family love Reed Valley Orchard the most, we're too lazy to drive that far on short notice. So we chose Evans, where the apple fritters are possibly the most insane thing I've ever eaten.

The trees were especially beautiful:

But Evans is clearly on an expansionist tip. Check out the straw fort:


The side view looks like more fun:

And then there's this. Last year, it was a 3-story straw hill with a slide on it. This year, as you can see, it's a wooden castle with three levels, a tube, a slide, and this roly-poly area on the side:


Take a closer look: someone's been very creative with construction materials.



Did I mention the camel rides? Yeah, a camel in Kentucky. And a petting zoo. And pony rides (though, who'd want a pony when you could have a CAMEL!!?), and a bee-station where you can observe the life cycle and social behavior of bees, and a corn maze...

And a king-of-the-hill area:


And that's leaving out the cider, the donuts, the fritters (!!), the jam and honey and gifts and (last but of course most numerous) the apples. Did I mention pears? Asian pears, and something called a Honeysweet, that's tiny (a little bigger than a seckel pear) but really tastes like honey.

A good day, and I have to say I think Evans is giving Reed Valley a run for its money.

(there were also pumpkins to pick or buy)
(and vendors selling stuff)
(and a tent for picnicking)
(with country music)
(that nearly made my brother-in-law sick)

P.S. Today I feel better, but am still sick. My ear isn't transmitting sound very well, and it's still inflamed, but it doesn't hurt. My throat is worse, and I cannot speak. So that's excellent, since there's a faculty meeting today and I'm on the agenda. Also, lecturing tomorrow is going to be amusing, at best.

5 comments:

Rae said...

I. Want. To. Go. There.
Now.

SarahHub said...

Okay, Rachel and I are packing up the car. Asian pears just grow on trees there? I swear, I thought they were really grown somewhere in Asia. I have to get out more often.

Fiona said...

You're funny.

They grow on trees...in orchards.

I think they started growing them here because we have a Toyota plant and that means we have a large-ish population of Japanese living here. Every single time I've been to the orchard, they're out there picking the asian pears.

Whatever the customers they *intended* to serve, it makes *me* happy, happy, happy.

Anonymous said...

Where is this wondrous place.

Fiona said...

Uh...here? Near Georgetown, I think.

Wait: my answer is "I'll take you there when you come visit!" because we've lived here HOW LONG? And how many times have you visited??? Uh, yeah.