Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Urgh

I had a bad day today.

I've been fighting a cold for several days, but mostly it confined itself to a throat ache and a small cough. Today, we took that up a notch.

By my 2pm lecture, the throat was scratchy and my voice was in rough shape, so I was drinking water and eating Hall's (poor front row - lots of fumes). But by the end of the lecture, around 3, my left ear started hurting. "Oh, great," I thought, "now I'm getting an ear infection."

Well, yes. At approximately the speed of sound. By 4:45, when my last class ended, my left ear was pounding with pressure, hurting, and not transmitting sound. The ride home was extremely unpleasant (thanks, Tom, for driving!), and the wait in the urgent-care facility nothing short of hysterical. The fact that, by then, I could hardly speak did not help.

Finally, I got to see the doctor, who was great. She popped 800mgs of Ibuprofin in my mouth, prescribed an antibiotic, and pronounced my ear and sinuses infected. She had me in and out in 5 minutes, and I liked her. That's doctoring.

The pain meds kicked in just after I got home. That would be about ten minutes too late for the total meltdown on the way in the house, so poor Charles got to try feeding a screaming baby while comforting his weeping wife all at the same time. Awesome. He's Super Dad, for sure.

But a bowl of chicken soup, two Sudafed, and the success of those 800 beautiful milligrams has restored calm. I get to take horse pills for the next 10 days, but I'm not getting upset about that right now. I'm just so relieved that my ear has stopped hurting.

Except when I burp.

For your viewing pleasure (and to prevent a total downer of a post), here's Iain, expressing his emotions at the orchard. He did not appreciate being asked to share his BOB with apples. Right after this, he expressed his outrage by falling asleep.


[Note the sweatpants. Size 12-18 months. 95th percentile, baby.]

4 comments:

SarahHub said...

Oh, Fiona! I'm so sorry you're sick! It's doubly hard with a baby in the house. I hope you're able to get some rest and feel better soon.

By the way, Evie is still wearing size 12-18 months. Is it a little weird that she could share clothes with Baby Iain?

Unknown said...

This is the part where outlying staff in the lowcountry wishes jumping in the car and making it all better was still an option. Feel better, sweet one.

Megan said...

Hope you feel better soon, Fiona! Being sick sucks...but aren't painkillers and antibiotics wonderful? Not to mention Super Dads... :)

Rae said...

You have an adorable baby and a wonderful husband! You must feel so lucky! :)