Saturday, October 11, 2008

Grrr

So I got a flyer in the mail yesterday. It came from the Lexington-Fayette County Urban Gov't.

Come see us! they said. We've re-purposed old garbage cans into composting bins and you can have one for free! they said.

Great! Where do I go?

"the recycling center, corner of Manchester Street and Thompson Road."

Uh, where's that? Lexington is a big town, with nearly 250,000 people in it.

So I googled it. Nothing but crap. Then I looked at the LFUCG website. Lots of description of their services, no directions. On the Waste Management site, I found a phone number, or (they suggested) you could call 311 for city service information.

I called 311. Foolish Person From Somewhere Else. No one answers 311 on the weekend. Never mind that the compost-bin giveaway is only on Saturday. Psht. Either you know where it is or you don't get one, outlander.

Finally, I saw a reference in an old newspaper article to people who didn't like the recycling center being near their homes. It said, "near downtown." So I just pulled up a map of downtown and started looking.

Now I have hand-written directions. Maybe I'll go next weekend and get one. Or maybe I'll just sit here muttering about how unfriendly small cities can be. I honestly don't think it occurs to people that anyone new to town might not know where Absolutely Every Street is.

Grr. Bitterbitterbitter.

No comments: