Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Cookie? Pfhhlath!

First baking attempt: poo.

I tried to make sugar cookies. They are not good. Not. Good.

Here were my challenges:
1. No cookbooks out yet, so I had to rely on teh interwebs.
2. New oven.
3. No vanilla, so I used whiskey.


I should have known when I scooped the dough. It was tough. Tough like Scarface. Tough like a Monster Truck. I baked them for 8 minutes, and they have the texture of those cookies you get in a bouquet (ie, flour-based cement).

Could I make them edible? Sure. I could crumble them up, press them into the base of a cake pan, make a cheesecake, pour it in, and bake that. I might consume the result. Maybe.

But otherwise? No. These cookies, for sure, will not be going across the street to thank our neighbor Mr. Mower, nor will they be going to my colleague as a hostess gift for tonight's dinner. Nope. Nope.

Excuse me, I need to go fetch my cookbooks. And buy some vanilla. And mulch these little cinnamon-coated hockey pucks.

1 comment:

Grandmother said...

So disappointing to put the time and energy into baking and have it not turn out! My favorite new cookie is a recipe from Giada de Laurentis (sp?) for Ricotta Lemon cookies. They are easy, have a cake like texture, very lemony with a lemon glaze icing. YUM!