Saturday, April 11, 2009

Farmer's Market, Day 1

Below, my haul for today:

2 tomato plants
1 large rosemary
2 small parlsey
2 bunches locally-grown spinach (for Iain)
1 lb. locally grown asparagus picked this morning
1 loaf blackberry bread
1 dozen eggs
1 1/2 liter Italian olive oil imported by a colleague
1 bunch garlic scapes
2 small wedges of locally-produced goat cheese


Iain sampled the blackberry bread for his breakfast

It wasn't bad.

Quite tasty, in fact. Please note bedhead.

Today was the first Farmer's Market of the season, held downtown at a new location. Usually, Iain and I are Sunday FM people, but this Sunday is, of course, a holiday. So next week we'll resume our marketing at the much more reasonable hour of 10am, over at the other location. I'll be buying more herbs for my garden, and probably more eggs, greens, and other stuff.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmmm... blackberry bread? The cinnamon toast I ate this morning is jealous. Oh, and what is a garlic scape?

Fiona said...

A garlic scape is apparently the garlic after it grows but before the bulbs develop. What we normally eat are the bulbs, but garlic grows just like any other member of the onion family.

So scapes look like scallions or other green onions, but they taste like garlic. ?? Crazy, right?

You can grow garlic as a companion plant, and it helps keep some bugs away because it smells garlicky. I've done that in the past with roses, but haven't planted any garlic yet this year. I might plant some if I think about it.